Get the latest news about St. Joseph Parish, its ministries and organizations, events and happenings, and local community involvement.
Our weekly bulletin provides our primary way we use to communicate with you.
Consult our Google Calendar for a year-long schedule.
Annual events are featured on their own pages including our famous Ox Roast Fair.
On Saturday, March 11, about 165 people attended this year's Parish Dance. Held in Hughes Hall, singles & families, young & old enjoyed music from the 1980's provided by Chuck Casalicchio. Karaoke, dancing & food were all part of the fun. Thank you to Deacon Gerry Scopilliti for coordinated this event.
Past St. Joseph School Principal, Ann Salva, Passes Away
There will be a Memorial Mass for Ann Salva on Saturday, April 29, at 2:00 p.m. here at St. Joseph's with a reception to follow in Hughes Hall. Ann Marie Salva, 75, of Philadelphia and formerly of Ravenna, Ohio, died peacefully at her niece's home on Saturday, February 25, after battling Parkinson's disease for many years. Born and raised in Carbondale, Pennsylvania, she was the daughter of the late William and Elizabeth Mullisky Salva. She was a graduate of St. Rose High School, Carbondale and Marywood College, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in education. In addition, she attended the University of Akron, where she earned a Master of Arts in education in supervision and certifications in guidance and counseling and elementary administration. She was a former sister in the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM), Scranton, from 1957 to 1971. Her name in religion was Sister Elizabeth Marie. She taught at St. Mary's School, Patton, Pa.; St. Clare School, Scranton; St. Ambrose School, Bridgeport, Conn.; and was principal at Holy Rosary School, Scranton.
In 1971, she moved to Ohio and was a teacher with the Crestwood School District (1971-1980) and the Guidance Counselor at Crestwood Middle School. From 1960 to 1971, she was with the Scranton Diocese. From 1980 through 1987, she served as Principal of St. Joseph School in Mantua. In 1987 she left St. Joseph's to take the position of Assistant Principal at Canton Central Catholic High School and remained there until 1990. Then she was appointed Principal of John F. Kennedy High School in Warren (1990-1994). Ms. Salva returned to Crestwood Schools serving as Director of Academic Programs (1994-1999) and then Principal of Hiram Elementary School (1999-2000). At the end of the 2005/2006 school year, Ann retired from the position of Principal of Crestwood Middle School (2000-2006). She spent 46 years in the field of education.
She was a loving and devoted daughter, sister and aunt. Her love and dedication to her family and friends were always foremost in her life. She was an avid reader and loved to watch old movies. She enjoyed socializing and traveling with friends. A long-time St. Joseph parishioner actively involved in parish life serving as a lector and on various parish committees.
(click here to view her obituary).
Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, a new crucifix was added to our altar space on March 11, 2017. Due to the crumbling condition of our Blessed Mary, a new statue was added as a gift from the Kotkowski family. It was given in memory of Rita Kotkowski because of her devotion to the Rosary.
Both the Crucifix and Blessed Mother statue were obtained from the warehouse of Henninger’s in Cleveland (authorized agent for the disposition of items from closed parishes in the Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo and Steubenville Dioceses).
The Crucifix came from St. Hedwig Church in Toledo (the original Polish church of the Toledo Diocese) and was a “Mission Crucifix”. Details from the 1975 History of Saint Hedwig Church (parishioners wrote this book in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Parish):
“To the left of the pulpit, on the west wall from the Church is the very large Crucifix known as the ‘Mission Crucifix’. It is an integral part of the parish church décor as it is a reminder of the establishment of the parish as a place designated for the preaching and living of the Gospel of Christ Crucified. A gift of the Redemptorist Order, it contains a written record of the Parish Missions from 1893 to 1927. This legend is found in an arch type window at the foot of the Cross; it reads:
Pamiątki In Remembrance [of]
Misyi Sw. Parish Missions
od 5=12 Lutego 1893 5-12 February 1893 (would’ve been in the old church)
od 15=23 Lutego 1902 15-23 February 1902 (first Mission in new church)
od 11=26 Lutego 1911 11-26 February 1911
od 24 Lutego do 11 go Marca 1917 24 February to 11 March 1917
od 18 Listopada do 3 go Grudnia 1922 18 November to 3 December 1922
1-16 Pazdziernika 1927 1-6 October 1927”
The Mission Crucifix is believed to be from the original church which was located down the street from the “new” church. St. Hedwig Church closed September 2012 and merged with St. Adalbert Church now known as the parish of Saints Adalbert & Hedwig. St. Hedwig Church was not used for any purposes since July 1, 2014 and became a maintenance burden. The church lost its consecration (no longer used for sacred or liturgical events) on August 25, 2016. You can go to http://www.stadalbertsthedwig.org/parish_history.aspx and scroll down to bottom for St. Hedwig Building Virtual Tour.
The newly acquired Blessed Mother statue came from St. Stanislaus Church in Maynard, Ohio, (near Wheeling, West Virginia) in the Steubenville Diocese (Founded: 1888; Completed: 1904; New Church: 1963; Closed 1/2/2015). It was one of four parishes in that area that closed in a short time span. St. Mary’s in St. Clairsville, Ohio was responsible for finding homes for items and Henniger’s became owners through them. We thank the Kotkowski family for their generosity for their donation to St. Joseph's.
We appreciate the time and talent of Deacon Gerry Scopilliti, John Kruis, Frank Scopilliti, and Bill Curtin who installed the new item and moved the Risen Christ to its new location above the Narthex doors.
Likewise, our Saint Joseph statue is deteriorating and will be replaced. Rick Cermak, a local artist and member of St. Joe's, is currently carving a new piece that will be placed in the corner where the tabernacle used to be located.
Stewardship In Action!
The Hughes Hall ceiling project is completed thanks to the hard work of our volunteers. It began with a donation of gently used ceiling tiles (Dave O’Donnell’s workplace replaced theirs) and a Saturday, January 7 work day with members of the K of C, Boy Scouts, and other volunteers. Available volunteers continued on weekdays through February 8.
The rails were repainted, additional support was fabricated and installed, and the tiles were cut and installed. A big thank you to all who had a part in beautifying our Hall including: Bill Cleary, Bill Curtin, Bill Custer, Kyle Gregel, John Kruis, Marvin Litz, Mel Romanello, Dan Nuti, Connor Rowe, Jake Rowe, Mike Rowe, George Trares, Jack Wilk, Richard Wilk, and Steve Zwolinski.
Wonder what the activity is in the woods on St. Joseph Church property? We're having some logging done to raise some much needed funds for the parish. With this revenue and through additional donations, our hope is to fix the leaking church roof this spring. Those who wish to contribute toward this effort may do so by donating to our Building & Grounds Maintenance Fund either through the collection or our WeShare Online Giving site. This is the first step in making future improvements to our church interior.
Time & Talent Appreciated
Did you notice the new table next to the Deacon’s chair in the sanctuary? This piece was crafted by Charlotte Baumbick and funded by the St. Joseph Garden Club. What a nice offering of time, talent, and treasure.
Parish Survey Results
St. Joseph’s Parish Council distributed a Parish Survey in the Spring of 2016 in response to the Diocese of Youngstown’s Pastoral Plan for Evangelization. The Diocesan Pastoral Plan is the result of months of consultation with clergy and laity representing all ages throughout the diocese which highlights seven themes that are most important to all of us as we plan for our future. Parish Council has focused their activities around the Diocesan Plan. The object of our parish survey was to hear parishioners’ views on which of these seven areas they think the parish is performing well and which areas there are opportunities for improvement. For a closer look at the survey results, please click here or visit our Parish Survey page.
St. Joseph Church, Mantua, OH YouTube Channel
Did you know that St. Joe's now has a YouTube Channel? Our first endeavor is a video of "The Sights & Sounds of Ox Roast Fair 2016". Check it out!
Father Ed's Installation
We like to thank Bishop George V. Murry, S.J., Bishop of the Diocese of Youngstown, for being at St. Joseph's on Sunday, April 10, 2016 at the 8:30 a.m. Mass to officially install Fr. Ed Stafford as pastor of St. Joseph Church. It was a beautiful celebration and reception. Thank you to everyone who helped make this event so special. Click here for more photos.